Social Analytics: I am amazed at how many companies are engaging in Social Media without true business objectives, nor a list of benchmarks to show real ROI. I use Social Analytics to create benchmarks and continue to show real ROI over time. This is a no brainer for any business. I can hook you up with the Techrigy product, just email me: email@example.com.
An organization should have one Corporate Twitter account. For example, a mythological company that sells lightsabers called Lightsabers R Us joins twitter. They have one corporate address (with a username: lightsabersrus) to announce press releases and happenings around the organization. Then the rest of the workers have their real name as their user name, with the lightsabersrus.com web address in their BIO URL for a “link juice” purposes. Then each worker will tweet about their job at the company with 60% of the posted devoted to their daily jobs and things they are working on. The other 40% are personal posts, making them human. The end result is organic and serendipitous business opportunities and ultimately new Lightsaber sales. In the real world I have guided clients to using Twitter this way and have continued to have success with this plan. It does however take commitment and resources-at least 10 business folks tweeting with the pertinent keywords daily.
Thanks to all the Twitter folks who partook in #starwarsday for the inspiration around this fictional business reference.
Swine Flu: I believe Social Media was just as much at fault of pushing all the fear surrounding swine flu as it was at debunking the legitimacy of it! It proves that the social end of business and entertainment is a powerful tool that takes planning to use it correctly. If used in correctly it can be as detrimental as it is helpful! Social Media is truly viral!